Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users expired a few years ago, but you can technically upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
The company continues to activate Windows 10 licenses for people upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, even though Microsoft has removed the special upgrade offer sites.
Upgradition of Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free
ZDNet’s Ed Bott has been testing this method for years and the free update still works. Upgrading from Windows 7 is easy for anyone, especially when it comes to supporting the operating system today. If your PC supports the minimum requirements for Windows 10, you can upgrade from the Microsoft site.
The important thing to remember is that upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 can wipe out your settings and applications. There is an option to keep your files and personal data, but because of the differences between Windows 10 and Windows 7, it is not always possible to keep all your existing applications.
Make sure you identify the apps that you use regularly so you can easily get the installers back by downloading them. Windows 8.1 can be upgraded the same way, but without the need to wipe out your apps and settings.
Steps to update window
Here you know how to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10:
- Important Backup all your important documents, applications and data
- Go to the Microsoft Microsoft Windows 10 download site
- In the Windows Windows 10 Installation Media Create section, select “Download tool now” and run the app
- When prom prompted, select “Upgrade this PC now”.
- Then you will be asked whether you want to keep your personal files or start fresh. Remember: Starting a new or still keeping your files will remove all apps and settings for Windows 10 Upgrade.
- After completing the upgrade, you must receive a digital license for Windows 10, which can be found under Settings> Update & Security> Activation.
- If the digital license is attached to the device and the hardware is not changed, you can do a clean installation with Media Creation Tool or ISO files of the same edition of Windows 10, and activation is automatic.
To get the best Windows 10 experience and take advantage of features such as password-free sign-on via Windows Hello, you want to buy a new Windows 10 PC (or released after July 2015) with all the hardware updates. If you are a student or university faculty member, you can also download Windows 10 for free (search here for your school software offerings).
Users of window 10
Windows 10 now has over 1 billion active users worldwide, Microsoft said on Monday. The milestone comes two months after Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 and encouraged people to upgrade to Windows 10.
Windows 10 is found in more than 80,000 models and configurations of laptops and 2-in-1s from more than 1,000 different manufacturers, Mehdi said. It empowers Microsoft’s mixed reality and HoloLens devices.