Difference between Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop
What is Adobe Lightroom?
It is an application of image organization and image manipulation software that developed by the Adobe Systems for macOS, Android, Windows, iOS, and tvOS. It allows importing or saving, tagging, viewing, organizing, editing, and sharing numbers of digital images.
Unlike Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom’s edits are always non-destructive by keeping the genuine image and the edits applied to it saved separately. Despite sharing its name with Photoshop, it cannot perform several Photoshop functions such as doctoring, rendering text or 3D objects on images, or modifying video frames. It is not a file manager like Adobe Bridge.
Lightroom cannot operate on files unless they are imported into its database first, and only in recognized image formats. Initially, Adobe Lightroom was one product only.
Adobe Lightroom Edition 1.0
On 29th January, 2007, Adobe announced that Lightroom would ship on 19th February, 2007.
This edition was advertised in official emails from Adobe applications in April 2008. New features included:
- Localized corrections
- Improved organization tools
- Multiple monitor support
- Flexible printing options
- 64-bit support
This was released on 22nd October, 2009. New features included:
- New chrome noise reduction
- Improved sharpening tool
- New import pseudo module
- Publish services
- Custom package for print
This edition was officially released on 5th March 2012. Its new features included:
- Highlight and shadow recovery to bring out all the detail in dark shade and bright highlights
- Photo book creation with templates
- Email from within Lightroom
This edition was officially released on 9th June.Some of the variations include:
- Radial ascent to highlight an elliptical area
- complex healing-cloning brush to brush the spot removal tool over an area
- elegant previews to allow working with offline images
- Support of PNG files
- Support of video files in slideshows
This edition was officially released on 21st April, 2015. Its new features include:
- HDR Merge
- Panorama Merge
- Performance improvements, GPU acceleration
- Facial recognition
- Advanced video slideshows
- Filter Brush
What is Adobe Photoshop?
It is a raster graphics editor that developed and published by Adobe Inc for Windows and MacOS. It was first created in 1988 by Thomas and John Knoll. Since then, Software Raster has become the industry standard not only in graphics editing, but in digital art as a whole.
The software name has become a common trademark, its use as a function but Adobe discourages such use. Edit and compose Photoshop raster images with multiple layers and support masks, alpha compositing and many color designs including CIELAB, RGB, CMYK, Spot Color and Duotone.
In addition to raster graphics, the software has limited capabilities to edit or render text and vector graphics, as well as 3D graphics and video. Its feature set can be extended by plugging; Programs developed and distributed independently of Photoshop run inside it and provide new or better features.
Advantages of Photoshop
- Layers control their cloudiness and other parameters
- Advance retouching of spot healing brush
- Compositing different multiples image
- Action of time saver
- Rendering 3d option
- Advantages of Lightroom
- Non-destructive flow of data
- Achiever in operating in raw files
- Easier to learn with well organized work flow